Sunday, February 21, 2010

FIRST FEW DAYS AND NIGHTS

My first night was eventful and of course I woke up with a hangover, but I had an agenda that day, and that was to find a room, a very cheap room. Wandering around in the sun, which was a pleasure considering the weather I left in London, but not great when your walking around with a heavy suitcase and looking for a hostel. But it didn't take me long to find a three story Georgian style building set within a delightful square and surrounded by orange trees. Also only a ten minute walk from the main strip in Marbella. The guy who owned the hostel, showed me the room and as it was only ten pestos per night I decided to take the room. The room with a single bed was small but adequate as it was only going to be a base to crash every night.

For the first two weeks or so in Marbella and Puerto Banus, apparently the town for the rich and famous, that's the reason why I came here, was one big party, every night, meeting people, women, drinking and drugs. The champagne flowed, even if you didn't buy any, I couldn't afford to and it was pushed into your hand, by people you knew and didn't know. It was just like the drugs, I didn't take that many, but it was everywhere. The high for two weeks. Spending all day on the beach getting a tan, go back to my room, crash till ten in the evening and go out and party until the sunrise. The people I mixed with were from a completely different background, they were criminal's here on the run, hence if you ask questions they would knock you back, verbally or with a smack, no matter what. The funny thing was they were on the run from the UK to here, and shortly I would be on the run from here back to the UK. 

One particular night out I went to this bar by the Marina and after a few drinks at the bar on my own, I started to talk to this couple. His name was Mike, a guy in his mid thirties from Leeds, he has been in Marbella for two years and she was Spanish, Rosa from Madrid. I thought they were an item, but apparently they were just friends. Well he liked her but she didn't like him in that way and and as the night wore on, she started to flirt with  me which at first was rather awkward. But as the night went on and as the drinks flowed, in the end I didn't care and went back to her apartment for a night of sex which continued into the following day. That was the last time I saw her and him together until a few days later.

1 comment:

  1. your short stories remind me of Haruki Murakami's books. Keep penning

    ReplyDelete